Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kari Cares - Mental Health Awareness Month 2012

I'm not sure whether or not I've ever mentioned it on this blog before but I suffer from clinical depression.  Though I was formally diagnosed at age 18, it is something that has plagued me my entire life.  It baffles me how, in 2012, there is still such a stigma attached to mental illness and I hope that this admission, in some small way, eases the burden so many face when dealing with their own mental disorders.  There should be no shame, no fear, but sadly, for many, this is still not the case.  It took me many years to come to terms with what is a constant problem in my life, something that I will never be cured from, something that haunts me every day of my life but it is something one CAN live with.  Some days are easier than others, that's for sure, and some days I really wonder if I can keep on keeping on, as they say, but I do, somehow.  That is why mental health awareness month holds such significance for me, personally.  Many of my friends and family members suffer from their own mental illnesses, to varying degrees, and it is for them, and for myself, that I share this pedi with you.
This is two coats of Nubar Reclaim, my favorite polish, in the bright sunlight, where it truly shines.

Green is the color of mental health awareness and I will try to feature some green manis this month as well.  However, I decided to start with a pedi as I find that they last much longer and I'm hoping to maintain green toenails, in some way, shape or form, all month long.  

I'll close this by saying that I really truly hope that if any of you reading this suffer from a mental illness yourselves that you have someone to share with, be that a spouse, partner, sibling, parent, friend, teacher, therapist - anyone who cares about you and can be a supportive listener.  Do not be ashamed to ask for help.  We are all worthy of at least that much.  

xoxo,
K

8 comments:

HollyG222 said...

Yay love it

Kari said...

Thanks so much, sweetie! xoxo

Anonymous said...

You are awesome. As always. xoxoxo

LuvMyLacquer said...

I need Nubar Reclaim in my life like yesterday! Such a gorgeous green holo =) Thank you for being brave and opening up to so many people. It takes alot of heart to do that & it shows what a fantastic person you are, xoxo!

Kari said...

Thank you so much. Likewise, I'm sure. ;) xoxo

Kari said...

Thanks so much, Jess. That means a lot to me. xoxo

Jen said...

I totally understand your pain, Kari. I also suffer from clinical depression, and I have come to terms with the fact that I will always have to take meds, and that doing so improves my quality of life so I can be the mother my children deserve, and the wife and individual I want to be. There is no shame in that :) *hugs* You are awesome for sharing <3

Kari said...

Thank you so much, Jen. That means so much to me. xoxo <3